Friday, November 28, 2008

Beginnings in Black & White

Take a look at the girl, the young woman here. She is just twenty-one. With a small cross on a necklace to protect her in a strange new world. Her eyes tell us everything, a bit of fear, of wonder and surprise. Just days previous, she got married to a young man of twenty-two. Where would this man take her? What would life be like with him? Would she be happy? Only time would tell.

And this young man, her new husband with his own amulet to ward off the evils of the world, a St. Christopher medal. His eyes tell a different story, one that says he is not so young in spite of his age. There is a hint of stubborness and defiance as though to say that he will travel his own path through the rest of his life, even if it is a path that most would not choose.

Well, as you can see, I am still busy with photos from the past. These two were from August, 1971. I only have three slides from that time and they are in very poor shape as colour slides. This is the result of trying to save them. Okay, I realise that I might have stretched it a bit with the photo captions, but it likely wasn't far from the truth. Looking back at the time now, I can see just how young and naive we were.

Today has been a busy one for us with Mom in the kitchen making poppycock for Christmas. It appears as there should now be enough for everyone to get a good taste. Who knows, maybe we will eat it all before anyone comes to our home for Christmas. Besides working on slides, I have taken down part of the wall in the spare room beside the downstairs bathroom in order to find out exactly where the moisture was coming from. The problem was located and a plan is now in place to have the problem resolved before we return from our vacation in Mexico thanks to our neighbour, Wayne.

A final note: Ottawa won last night in a shoot out.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Love the pictures especially the ones of Grandma and Grandpa. They seemed so young. It is amazing how much Uncle Cecil looks like Grandpa. Mom at 21 reminds me of someone also but I can't figure out who.

rgl said...

I wonder ... She still looks the same to me. I always have wondered how I had lucked out in finding her and then winning her heart.

Dustin Longpré said...

The pictures of you two in your early twenties are awesome!!