Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Is it a flying fish

What a surprise this morning when we were sitting having our coffee on the beachfront patio. I saw something moving on the edge of the surf, first on the sand and then in the shallow edges. At first I thought it might be a good sized crab, then I thought it might be a wounded fish. We decided to go closer and this is what we saw. It looked like a fish with fans on each side - perhaps a flying fish. I looked on the Internet trying to find out what kind of fish it was without success. I guess it will stay a mystery.


I was back in Progreso this afternoon for my second one-on-one Spanish lesson. My head was certainly full after the lesson as my teacher is pushing as fast he can trying to see where we have to start slowing down. Of course, vocabulary is slowest to develop for me. The grammar is quickly being absorbed. Next lesson is next week Wednesday.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Super cool fish. Weird that you can't figure out what it is. Maybe you will learn enough Spanish that you can ask some locals about it or... take the picture to your teacher and ask about it.

Tom said...

This is most likely a gurnard - I just don't know exactly which one, another close relative is a searobin... again, not exactly sure, but might help narrow down the search.
Debi